Cocker Spaniel Fans Club Of Malaysia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cocker Spaniel Fans Club Of Malaysia

Hang Out with Cocker Spaniel furkids & Friends

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My dog is sick....:(

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cookie
New Born
New Born
cookie

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2006-08-28

My dog is sick....:( Empty
PostSubject: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( EmptyMon Sep 25, 2006 2:28 pm

Hi all,

I have a very urgent matter which I need all of your expert advise.

My cocker spaniel, which is approximately 8 months old is sick. When I first bought her back, I noticed that there was a small red lump at the inner corner of his eye. And the red lump grew biggers as each day passed!!! So I took him to a vet and had the red lump cut out.

But after 1 month, the other eye also infected with red lump. This time I took him to a better vet and had his eye scanned. And according to the vet, my dog's eye is infected and it's called cherry eye (i duno if the spelling is correct or not).

And 1 more serious problem is that my dog's eye is begining to have kataraks, which is a thin layer of white mukus in his eye. And worse more, he predicted that if the kataraks does not gets well, then my dog will be blind in another 2 years time Sad

Can anyone please advise me on how to heal the kataraks? The vet said he needs to refer my dog to his lecturer in UPM because he does not have the skill to remove kataraks and the equipments as well.

Please help Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
MOYSC
New Born
New Born
MOYSC

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2006-08-22

PostSubject: Re: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( EmptyTue Sep 26, 2006 11:11 am

Hi there,

Although I've no experience of my own, I know that cataract is a common inherited problem faced by cocker spaniels. For this reason, the recessive gene causing this defect is screened prior to breeding the dogs in the western world. Unfortunately, none of our local breeders are responsible or our country hv the facilities to do so.

Cataract can only be corrected via surgery. However, that depends whether it was the progressive type or not. If progressive cataract was diagnosed, then perhaps it is advisable not to proceed with surgery as it will re-occur eventually.

Nevertheless, do be prepared for the worst to happen - blindness. Dogs hv very good other senses (smell, taste, hearing) & hence even if it losses its sight, it can still guide itself very well in its familiar environment. Hence, it is very important to get yr dog used to its routine walks around every corner of yr house.

Remember, you need not hv to give up yr dog if something turns out the way it was not supposed to. Just remember - DO NOT breed yr dog. Juvenille cataract is an inherited disease & it can pass on to its puppies.

Good reads abt cataract & cherry eyes can be found at :

http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=567&S=1

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=567&S=1

For more info on corrective cataract surgery, pls seek help from online vets at www.vet.com.my. UPM Vet Dept is one of the best in the country. Otherwise, u can try Dr Yeoh, vet surgeon located at Tmn Megah. Very experienced vet but charges a little high though...

Hope it helps.
Nina

cookie wrote:
Hi all,

My cocker spaniel, which is approximately 8 months old is sick. When I first bought her back, I noticed that there was a small red lump at the inner corner of his eye. And the red lump grew biggers as each day passed!!! So I took him to a vet and had the red lump cut out.

But after 1 month, the other eye also infected with red lump. This time I took him to a better vet and had his eye scanned. And according to the vet, my dog's eye is infected and it's called cherry eye (i duno if the spelling is correct or not).

And 1 more serious problem is that my dog's eye is begining to have kataraks, which is a thin layer of white mukus in his eye. And worse more, he predicted that if the kataraks does not gets well, then my dog will be blind in another 2 years time Sad

Can anyone please advise me on how to heal the kataraks? The vet said he needs to refer my dog to his lecturer in UPM because he does not have the skill to remove kataraks and the equipments as well.

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 246
Registration date : 2006-08-17

PostSubject: Re: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( EmptyTue Sep 26, 2006 12:06 pm

good info Nina. Wink We hope cookie can get well soon..
Back to top Go down
https://ecsclubmalaysia.forumotion.com
jamesbond007
New Born
New Born

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( EmptySun May 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Dogathon 2009 is back ... shud go there ... u can learn and get more info about ur dog... it is really fun ...
Back to top Go down
jamesbond007
New Born
New Born

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( EmptySun May 03, 2009 3:18 pm

cookie wrote:
Hi all,

dogathon 2009 is back ... shud go there .. u can gte more info about ur dog .... im sure u will get info that u need ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My dog is sick....:(   My dog is sick....:( Empty

Back to top Go down

My dog is sick....:(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cocker Spaniel Fans Club Of Malaysia :: Training School :: General discussion-
Jump to: